I’m always on the lookout for interesting facts, especially ones that I’ve never knew existed. The Internet is chock full of interesting and weird facts. Here are some of them (and original sources are cited, check the bottom of each post for links):
According to Buzzfeed, The longest time between two twins being born is 87 days. and that the world’s deepest postbox is in Susami Bay in Japan. It’s 10 metres underwater. Did you also know that in 2007, an American man named Corey Taylor tried to fake his own death in order to get out of his cell phone contract without paying a fee. It didn’t work. The one I found most…interesting was: Casu marzu is a Sardinian cheese that contains live maggots. The maggots can jump up to five inches out of cheese while you’re eating it, so it’s a good idea to shield it with your hand to stop them jumping into your eyes.
You can check out more of these interesting facts via Buzzfeed at:
I came across the #Fact Site and discovered some facts that were downright weird. I never knew any of these and I think you’ll find then quite interesting (and surprising):
- Donkey Kong got his name because his creator believed ‘donkey’ meant ‘stupid’ in English and wanted to convey the impression that the character was a “Stupid Ape”.
- The medical name for a butt crack is “intergluteal cleft”.
- People can suffer from a psychological disorder called Boanthropy that makes them believe that they are a cow. They try to live their life as a cow.
- The name for the shape of Pringles is called a ‘Hyperbolic Paraboloid’.
- There is a McDonalds in every continent except Antartica.
- Mr Potato Head was the first toy to be advertised on TV.
- A duel between three people is actually called a truel.
- The stage before frostbite is called “frostnip”.
- The two tiny holes drilled in every BIC pen is to ensure that the air pressure is the same both inside and outside the pen, which helps the ink flow to the tip.
- In South Korea there is an emergency number (113) to report spies.
- There are no bridges over the Amazon River.
- The process by which bread toasts is called the ‘Maillard Reaction’.
- Snails have 14000 teeth and some can even kill you!
I checked out all of these facts on Lifebuzz and they were true. I was truly surprised and honestly thought they were false (and sounded outlandish). Some had my head shaking, because I never knew the history behind certain things. As they say, nothing is as it seems. If you don’t believe me, Google them like I did:
#1. Russia has a larger surface area than Pluto.
#2. Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire.
#3. France was still executing people by guillotine when Star Wars: A New Hope hit theatres.
#4. Nintendo was originally a trading card company.
#5. If the sun were the size of a white blood cell then the Milky Way Galaxy would be the size of the United States.
#6. There are more stars in space than there are grains of sand on every beach in the world.
#7. For every human on Earth there are 1.6 million ants.
#8. The total weight of all those ants, however, is about the same as all the humans.
#9. On Jupiter and Saturn it rains diamonds.
Food has a rich and storied history. Food has been celebrated for thousands of years. However, not everyone knows about the history of certain foods that they consume. Via Cracked.com, I read some very interesting and weird facts about the foods that we consume. The history behind your favorite foods will surprise you, as it did me. I will provide the link to it: